Wednesday, September 22, 2010

words to live by.


"Be in love with your life."
--Jack Kerouac

In his Belief and Technique for Modern Prose, Kerouac (a favorite author/poet of mine) lists thirty "essentials" to spontaneous writing. This little gem is number four on the list, but number one in my heart. Love your life. Live a life worth loving. Then write it ALL down. For years I've kept disconnected pages of journal entries and thoughts. Some written, some typed. Some cognitive, some completely illegible. Not until I read this did I realize, not only was I not crazy, but I was in good company.

So while I aspire to poignantly pen all of my stream of consciousness in an uber-sexy moleskine or carelessly capture my thoughts on some classy old typewriter, I'm going to not only accept, but love the fact that I write things down at all. But while we're on the subject, I still wouldn't mind one of these.



1 comment: