Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Ndibulungi.

Everyday while I walk to and from various meetings and projects, I am greeted by one person/child after another and have the following conversation.

Little kid on the street: "Mzungu! How are you?"

Me (the mzungu): "I am fine! How are you?"

Little kid on the street: "I am fine! How are you?"

And on and on we go like that until I'm out of earshot. Sometimes we change it up and have the Lugandan equivalent of that exact conversation.

Little kid on the street: "Oliotya!"

Me: "Ndibulungi, oliotya."

Little kid on the street: "Jendi."

Basically, each of us knows precisely 5 words in the others language, and we have the same conversation everyday. How are you, I am fine. Back and forth we go. But for some reason I have never gotten sick of this simple greeting, whether in English or Luganda. I love walking through town and being greeted by people with beautiful smiles whom I don't know and hearing them making such a humble attempt to greet me and establish some common ground. I love even more the smiles that light up their faces when I greet them first in their own language. The old jajjas (grandmothers) get the biggest kick out of it every time.

Apparently the most pleasing sound to the human ear is that of your own name. For me, only second to that, has got to be someone genuinely asking me how I am doing.

So hence the title of my blog, and in case any of you were wondering, I am indeed doing just fine.

2 comments:

  1. You are so great! I love your blog! Thanks for sharing all your fun experiences! You are missed, but I know everyone in Africa just loves you! You are the BEST!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear you are doing just fine! I miss you dearly. Even though we didn't get to see enough of you while we lived close, it makes me all the more lonesome for you knowing that you're across the oceans. And speaking in tongues.

    ReplyDelete