Thursday, May 27, 2010

Playing in the Mud!

One of the main projects that HELP specializes in is building Adobe Stoves. They reduce cooking time, save costs on fuel, and significantly reduce a families exposure to harmful smoke that causes vision and respiratory problems. I was so excited to get to build my first stove with the team for a single mother of 4 children in our neighborhood, Nakazzade. Stove building requires that you first stomp the clay with sawdust and water until it is the right consistency, and then you patty cake it into these mud balls that you throw into the frame of the stove. It was so much fun and the kids got such a kick out of seeing a bunch of mzungus (white people) do this kind of work. Within 4 hours we had completed the stove and the woman and her family were so happy. It was a great morning!






4 comments:

  1. You are gorgeous. And I miss you! BUT seriously? How stinking cool is it that you get to do this?! xo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Lauren. I always thought you were one woman who could change the world. Well, you're it, and what a start! Would you mind going to Washington DC for a few years? Best! Art

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I'm caught up. I loved reading this! Can't wait to see those little chocolate dumplings cut a rug. I am so proud of you and can't believe you are doing this, you are so brave. And amazing. Marry Cacey, or steves oldest brother is available now:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Building a furnace made of adobe with your feet? Mud and dirt everywhere?? Yucky. Just kidding - you make me proud to be a mzungus (mzunga...singular?). I met a Kenyan the other day and she told me it's hot there. Maybe you should've researched that bit first.

    jk - hope you're safe and having fun.

    ReplyDelete